Pastor Robert teaches on the ten most deadly sins we can commit with our words and how to avoid them. Understand how your words affect your life.
As believers in Christ, our sins, both deeds and words, separate us from intimacy with God (Isaiah 59:1–3). Here are ten ways we sin with our words:
1. Lying is like idolatry because we’re going against God’s nature and aligning ourselves with Satan when we lie (Proverbs 6:16–19; 12:22).
2. Sewing discord will reap destruction in your life (Proverbs 6:12–15).
3. Gossip is spreading private information about someone, even if the information is true and factual. We sometimes disguise gossip in the Church by calling it a prayer request (Proverbs 20:19; 2 Corinthians 12:20).
4. Slander is when we share a false and malicious report about someone. This includes repeating things we’ve heard when we don’t have personal knowledge that it’s true (Psalm 140:11; Proverbs 10:18; 1 Corinthians 5:11).
5. Tale-bearing is revealing secrets or breaking a confidence (Proverbs 11:13). When someone is able to trust us with their secrets because we have a faithful spirit, it brings healing to them. We show strong character when we protect their trust.
6. Cursing usually comes from a root of bitterness (Romans 3:13–14). When you curse, you’re actually speaking a curse over someone or something, even yourself and what belongs to you. A person who curses, is not blessed (Psalm 109:17–18).
7. Blasphemy happens when we use God’s name in an unsacred or selfserving way (Exodus 20:7). This includes when we use His name as a curse word or to manipulate others, (e.g., “God told me ….” or “Thus saith the Lord ….” when God didn’t talk to them.).
8. Filthy language is to be avoided because it stirs up lust (Colossians 3:8). We should not only refrain from speaking it, but also from listening to it.
9. Contentious speech includes disagreeable, argumentative, hurtful, hateful or malicious talk (Proverbs 21:9; Proverbs 26:21).
10. Unbelief manifests through negativity. It flows out of our hearts. When we speak positive words, we’re expressing faith in the truth that God is bigger than the facts of a difficult situation (Hebrews 3:12–13). God wants to bless us, but first our mouths must line up with His Word.
Robert Morris - The Truth About Words
30-03-2021, 00:00, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - The Value of Words
29-03-2021, 00:00, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - He Holds the Keys
16-03-2021, 00:00, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - Have You Believed A Lie?
20-01-2021, 06:50, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - The Sin of Comparison
29-01-2021, 00:00, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - Principles That Produce Momentum
30-01-2021, 00:00, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - The Water of Life
20-01-2021, 09:27, Robert Morris
Robert Morris - What's So Important About Worship?